Are you planning to make this Independence Day full of fun and make the most of this day? You can watch some of the most memorable patriotic movies that will remind you of the sacrifice made by scores of freedom fighters. Over the years, Bollywood industry has produced scores of films in the memory of the sacrifices made by freedom fighters. Now as India is all set to celebrate the 72nd Independence Day, we present you some of the best film being made over the years.
You can watch these top 10 most patriotic films and make the most of this Independence Day:
1) Border –This is one of the most popular film made till date. India fought hard to defeat Pakistan in the year 1971 which led to the creation of Bangladesh. The story of this epic Indo-Pak war provided enough fodder to J.P Dutta to create one of the finest war movies of Indian cinema. Border featured a huge star cast led by evergreen Sunny Deol. What made the movie even more memorable was its melodious and soulful song Sandese Aate Hain made immortal by Sonu Nigam.
2) Lagaan: This is another popular film which even made its entry into Oscar. The moment still remains memorable when Aamir Khan’s Popatwadi XI defeated Her Majesty’s might cricket team, all of India rejoiced in collective joy at the prospect of having trounced the angrej in reel life once again. The movie focused on India’s favourite sports cricket with the patriotic fervor of the country.
3) Haqeeqat: In the year 1962, Independent India faced the first war (with China) and Chetan Anand made this momentous but fairly dark and realistic saga honoring our soldiers and martyrs. Despite a top cast and cult songs like “Ab Tumhare Hawale Watan Saathiyon,” the film did not become a cult. However, it still remains the best war film till date.
4) Shaheed: The popular film is a 1965 Hindi movie based on Bhagat Singh's life. One of the most prominent Indian patriotic movies based on the Indian independence movement, it was produced by Kewal Kashyap and directed by S. Ram Sharma and stars Manoj Kumar, Kamini Kaushal, Pran, Iftekhar, Nirupa Roy, Prem Chopra, Madan Puri and Anwar Hussain in lead roles.
5) Rang De Basanti:The movie touched a raw nerve when it showcased the transformation of carefree young individuals into passionate and revenge seeking human beings. The story is about a British documentary filmmaker who is determined to make a film on Indian freedom fighters based on diary entries by her grandfather, a former officer of the Indian Imperial Police. Upon arriving in India, she asks a group of five young men to act in her film. Rang De Basanti's release faced stiff resistance from the Indian Defence Ministry and the Animal Welfare Board due to parts that depicted the use of MiG-21 fighter aircraft and a banned Indian horse race.
6) Swades: In the fillm, you can watch one of SRK’s best performances till date. The film highlights the patriotism of an Indian scientist who moved by the plight of his villagers altruistically resigns from NASA and decides to put his brain and skills to the good use of his own countrymen.
7) Gadar: The film was released alongside Lagaan. The film rode like a raging bull at the box-office. Sunny Deol’s patriotism combined with ample Pakistani bashing saw the spirit of patriotism rising sky-high.
8) The Legend of Bhagat Singh: Many have tried to highlight the life of India’s cult revolutionary Bhagat Singh but no one could match Raj Kumar Santoshi’s product, The Legend Of Bhagat Singh’. Ajay Devgn’s intense eyes just minutes before being hanged in the movie will leave you with a heavy lump in your throat.
9) Kranti: One of those rare films that showcased the fight for independence spanning the period between 1825 to 1875. The movie starred Manoj Kumar as Bharat Kumar as the lead star and the rest as they say is history.
10) Mangal Pandey: The movie was a box-office disaster but if you ever wanted to learn more about the life of India’s first revolutionary, Mangal Pandey you should definitely watch this Aamir Khan starrer.