A hickey can do many things to you – and death is not one you would imagine. But it’s possible and it just happened. A 17-year-old boy, Julio Macias Gonzalez, from Mexico died because of a hickey his girlfriend gave him hours before his death.
The boy suffered a stroke because of the love bite. The sucking action of the hickey caused a blood clot to form which then travelled to brain and gave him a fatal stoke. The 17-year-old was eating dinner with his family when he began experiencing convulsions, just hours after having spent an evening with his girlfriend.
This is not the first case of a love bite turning fatal. In 2011, a 44-year-old New Zealand woman suffered a minor stroke after a love bite. Sitting at home watching television, she noticed a numbing sensation in her left hand and was rushed to the hospital. The doctors found that a love bite on her neck had not only formed a blood clot but had also damaged an artery.
As scary as it sounds, a hickey can kill you. Putting too much pressure on the skin can cause blood clots to form and travel through the blood stream. If they reach the brain or the heart, the result is fatal. Heart attack, paralysis, death—an innocent kiss could very well be the kiss of death.
Better safe than sorry; always exercise a little restrain while giving and receiving hickeys. And they said protection was everything.